Logo

2005 Mercury 115 Optimax missing and 7 mph top speed

Metallife89

So I recently had a bug pack a bunch of leaves in my tell tale. Overheated very briefly for less than 10 seconds before I got it shut down. Was able to take my hose and 90 off and ream most of it out with a bottom bouncer wire. Overheated one more time for just a couple seconds before I shut it down and had to clean the port on the block out again. Got it home, cleaned everything out really good and replaced hose and fitting.

Took it back out the next weekend and it didn't want to go more than 2000 rpm and 7 mph. Did take off once at full speed for about a minute.

Put in new coil packs and spark plugs. Tried running off a remote tank. Drained my vst (replaced filter last year). Cleaned battery cables. Still missing really bad at idle.

Fuel pressure is 110. Air compressor is 96 psi. 90 psi compression on every cylinder. Inline spark tester shows consistent spark on all cylinders.

Use my boat every weekend and gets plenty of fresh 91 ethanol free ran through it. Primer bulb and hose replaced last year and in good condition.

Any ideas what to look for next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So the overheat warning horn sounded ?----Did you replace impeller?-----A plugged tell tale does NOT cause an overheat condition.

So the overheat warning horn sounded ?----Did you replace impeller?-----A plugged tell tale does NOT cause an overheat condition.
The plugged tell tale caused the water drawn up into the block to keep heating instead of flushing fresh fresh cool water through.

Back