Logo

2005 mercruiser 6.2 horizon inboard

helicopter848

Compression test revealed low compression on 2 spark plugs that were rusty with evidence of some raw water reaching cylinders. I'm told the gasket is the root cause. However the recommended fix I'm being told is to replace the manifold exhaust system. Keeping the mighty dollar in check wouldn't replacing the seal be the 1st step? I'm trying to sale the boat this fall.

Which 2 plugs? If the boat is used in salt/brackish water then it's past time for new iron exhaust. Have them show you the parts.

The exhaust elbows are due for replacement, as guy noted in post #2....the manifold itself should be good for some time to come...

If I was to pay a licensed mercriuser mechanic to replace the elbows in cluding parts and labor what's a fair price for both mech and owner involved? Ball park price
Thank you for your help!

Licensing is a local rule so can't comment on that....a pair of dry joint elbows and gaskets lists for ~ $800....the labor will vary based on local, too....then factor in travel time, shop supplies, etc....and the most important - engine access...

Back