Logo

2005 Johnson 9.9 Fuel Supply Issue?

justin.shay2

Hi All,

New, stupid, & bit a beginner here, but I'm starting to lose my mind with this engine. Definitely don't assume that any problem is something I would have figured out. I did a bunch of work to this outboard about a month and a half ago, was running great, then while out it started to bog. Next morning would not start at all. Could get it to run with throttle wide open, but it was fighting for its life & would eventually die. Easing off throttle also kills it. The behavior you can see in the video attached. If you're not comfortable opening a random link posted by a stranger, I can try to describe it in more detail.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bTDdKx1m5NoXzXaZA

Quick summary of the work last month -
  • Replaced both spark plugs
  • New fuel pump
  • New water pump
  • Carb rebuild, top half replaced
  • electric starter rebuilt
  • drive shaft replaced
  • lower unit resealed
Thanks for any wisdom, even if the wisdom is "huck it in the ocean"

When you say you rebuilt the carb, when was that, before or after the problem arose?

It appears to die as you reduce the throttle to a lower idle. Try pulling out the choke a little before it dies and see if that revives it any. If it does, I would look at cleaning that carburetor again.

Thanks for your reply -

This started shortly after the rebuild. I've only run it for a few hours since. Pre-rebuild problem was dying at low RPM, difficulty starting. Found that the idle adjustment had been mangled & was not actually adjusting anything, so needed new top half.

It dies in the same way as in the video when any choke is applied. Fuel filter is new & looked fine, and the bulb pumps up & stays firm when not attached to outboard. Soapy water along the whole fuel line didn't show any leaks from the tank to the engine.

The other test to try is to squeeze the primer bulb just before it stalls to see if that fixes it temporarily. Have you tried that?

On that note. The length of fuel line you have from the bulb to the motor seems pretty short. I can't see how long the line from the bulb to the fuel tank is for comparision, but usually the longer line goes from the bulb to the motor. It makes me wonder if you have that fuel line hooked up in the correct orientation, with respect to the arrows on the primer bulb outlining the direction of fuel flow.

The other test to try is to squeeze the primer bulb just before it stalls to see if that fixes it temporarily. Have you tried that?

On that note. The length of fuel line you have from the bulb to the motor seems pretty short. I can't see how long the line from the bulb to the fuel tank is for comparision, but usually the longer line goes from the bulb to the motor. It makes me wonder if you have that fuel line hooked up in the correct orientation, with respect to the arrows on the primer bulb outlining the direction of fuel flow.
Thanks again for your help.

Ended up siphoning some gas out of the tank & letting it sit. What do ya know, water in the gas. I had ruled it out originally because I had just brought my old gas to be disposed & filled it with all new nonethanol the day prior. Best guess is that the worker at the hazardous waste facility washed the tank out with water & I didn't notice when I filled it back up.

Siphoned out the tank & hose am going to let the rest evaporate overnight. Will drain carb & try to work it out of the engine tomorrow, cycle some new gas through. Will update if it works for anybody who finds this thread later on

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2537-min.JPG
    IMG_2537-min.JPG
    775.7 KB · Views: 3
You should probably drain the fuel line as well. Usually you need a friend for that since you need to push in the spring loaded pin on both connectors at the same time to get the fuel to flow out. That usually requires about 4 hands and if you have another set of hands around ask them to give the bulb a little squeeze while those pins are pushed in. Try not to hurt the O-rings on the outside of those pins or the fuel line will never seal right.

Hey all,

Did a few things
  • Dried tank and hose over a few days, disconnected bulb
  • Drained carb, cranked it a few times, let sit overnight. Did not take bowl off of carb, just removed bolt & drained into rag
  • Pulled plugs, sprayed some fogging oil, cleaned off. Photo attached of plugs prior to cleaning. One was wet, the other was not. Cranked it a few times to see if anything shot out, but nothing did. Paper towels stayed completely dry
  • Put new nonethanol, some sea foam & heet through. Have run for about 10 total minutes
It has somewhat improved, but is still running very rough. Occasionally revs up for moment as if it's about to come back to life, but then rumbles back down to as seen in the original video. I can now throttle down more & she sounds a bit healthier.

The only other change is that there's now a residue building up in the prop. Seems like just unburnt oil/gas coming through exhaust. I assume it's because I have to run it wide open throttle for her to chug along and not all the gas is getting burned

Thanks for your input so far. I'm going to keep running it in hopes that the heet cycles through enough to pick up the residual moisture. Any thoughts welcome

Attachments

• IMG_2576-min.JPG
    IMG_2576-min.JPG
    898.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2577-min.JPG
    IMG_2577-min.JPG
    648.7 KB · Views: 4
Back