Logo

2005 90hp Johnson 2 stroke shakes very bad

BigE!

Cranks and idles fine but once I throttle up it starts shaking so bad that you can go past 5 mph. New plugs,fuel,fuel filter and rectifier. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

How did it run for you last season ?--------Check the gear oil.-----Check for bent propshaft.-----Bent propeller ?-----Hard to diagnose without good facts.

It’s ran fine for the past 3yrs I use it every weekend until last Saturday. I had friend look at it and he thinks it’s something with the stator or going in slow mode or ignition. It’s definitely not fuel related

Racer, not quite sure how to take that answer. I trust my wife, but not sure about my friends. What is your friends experience? Did anything get shorted out since it ran well?

No sir I haven’t figured it out. And my friend is not a certified mechanic. He was just saying from what he can tell it’s not a fuel problem. This page was recommended to me so I figured I would try it out. Thanks

Thanks for stopping by. Racer is our senior tech, his experience is incredible. Good sense of humor too. My experience is more directed to the pre 2000 motors, especially the Johnson Evinrude....where I was trained. You, of course, have an expensive repair if this is a stator or module. This has to be positively diagnosed. Since it starts and idles well, we can possibly rule out a fuel system disorder, but we should still check fuel pressure. If the emm determines a problem, it could be adjusting itself to produce these symptoms. I appeal to our techs who have firsthand experience with this symptom. My guess is the module. Stators don't seem to produce this symptom. These modules are very complex and expensive. If it's determined you need to replace it, perhaps there is a used one around.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220814-094857.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-094857.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Is your optical eye dirty? Do you have a factory manual? What is your compression? Does spark jump 7/16" air gap? Do All the linkages move smoothly? Those motors require a special analyzer to set timing and test the eye. S.L.O.W and usually will happen around 2700 rpm.

Last edited:
Just a quick update. When I was changing out the spark plugs I saw a plug that goes to the thermostat unplugged so I plugged it in we’ll come to find out it was unplugged because there isn’t a thermostat in that one. So the sensor was making it think it was running hot (which it wasn’t) and not letting the motor rev up. Thanks for y’all’s response and maybe next time I’ll try explaining everything a little better.

Yeah before I did anything else I looked at some pics I had of the motor with the hood off and saw that and tried it. That’s why I said he’s not a certified mechanic and came on here to ask. Smh

Back