Logo

2005 90 Johnson (J90PLSOA) overheats at high rpm and dies at idle

ZacharyB

Having a couple issue with motor. Purchased boat 3 months ago. Test ran multiple times only issue was lagging throttle. I would increase throttle, the engine would come down(bog) a little, then increase as normal. Boat sat for 6 months so I figured it could have been just needing to be run. Went ahead and got a pre buy inspection a very reputable outboard repair shop. Everything checked out great! Long story short. Started with a rough idle. Usually starts fine but dies within seconds if I don't give it throttle. Not the worst thing but annoying when I'm working a dock or trailering evolution. Now after using the boat more and taking out for longer trips, After running around 4500-5000 RPMs and up for a few minutes, the hot light will come on as well as the horn. The whole time the water pump is spitting hard, but the water coming out is very warm. Ill come down and the light will eventually extinguish and water pump discharge will be back to normal temp. I went ahead and got the Thermostats as well as water pump replaced. Still doing the same thing. Noticed the last outing I can run 3500 rpms and have no issues. The boat was taken great care of by previous owner( family friend) and garage kept. What am I missing? This is my first boat but after experiencing these symptoms, my thoughts are filter issues either with oil and/or fuel, or carbs need cleaning. Trying not to keep taking my boat to the shop for no results.

Back