Logo

2004 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke spark issue

SoFlo

So a friend gave me a 2004 9.9 4 stroke outboard that hasn't run in a while. I cleaned up the carb and replaced the leaking diaphragm on the carb. The motor would start and stall but I could put it in gear and rev it to keep it running. So I decided to adjust the idle speed using the throttle linkage but I dialed it up a bit too much. It started and was running at about 2k RPM so I pulled the kill switch to stop it so I could adjust it back. Tried starting it again and nothing. I checked the kill switch thinking perhaps pulling it caused a problem. The kill switch was fine so I pulled a plug to see if I was getting spark and nothing.
I checked the manual for troubleshooting and one of the tests they have is to check the CDI by probing the orange and black wires and checking for voltage while cranking. CDI.JPG
The Voltmeter doesn't register any voltage. It says to replace ignition coil if you don't get he 85v but I don't understand how that could just suddenly fail. Anyone familiar with this motor that could point to something other than the kill switch that might cause it to lose spark suddenly?
Thanks

Back