Logo

2004 Yamaha 50 hp 4 stroke t50tlrc running extreamly rich at idle. need help

daf99s

first off new to here, thank you for letting me join. Service shop for 30 years. Have a problem child and looking for some help. This is a 2004 Yamaha 50 hp 4 stroke t50tlrc. compression and leak down on engine are good. firing is also good. came to me with idling problems and he had no history on this boat at all, just bought it. tried to sync carbs with vacumate but wouldn't every idle. pulled carbs, cleaned in ultrasonic tank, installed kit and reinstalled. still no idle and is running extremely rich, black smoke pouring out of exhaust. replaced primer assy with no help. idle mixture screws can be turned in all the wall with no help. removed air box on front and washers on bolts and reassembled back on engine so as to see down throats of carbs for leakage, none. even capped the float bowl fuel feed to primer so they were getting no fuel. engine still running rich. I'm missing something here but just don't know what and was looking around to see if someone else has run into this. looking for a used set of carbs to try but haven't yet foulnd a set to try, but really just don't think this is it but grasping for straws at this point. hate lunch eaters but from time to time one seems to show up. any help would be appreciated
+

Sounds like something isn't right with those carbs. Is the float height within spec? Maybe you should look for a rebuild kit.

first off new to here, thank you for letting me join. Service shop for 30 years. Have a problem child and looking for some help. This is a 2004 Yamaha 50 hp 4 stroke t50tlrc. compression and leak down on engine are good. firing is also good. came to me with idling problems and he had no history on this boat at all, just bought it. tried to sync carbs with vacumate but wouldn't every idle. pulled carbs, cleaned in ultrasonic tank, installed kit and reinstalled. still no idle and is running extremely rich, black smoke pouring out of exhaust. replaced primer assy with no help. idle mixture screws can be turned in all the wall with no help. removed air box on front and washers on bolts and reassembled back on engine so as to see down throats of carbs for leakage, none. even capped the float bowl fuel feed to primer so they were getting no fuel. engine still running rich. I'm missing something here but just don't know what and was looking around to see if someone else has run into this. looking for a used set of carbs to try but haven't yet foulnd a set to try, but really just don't think this is it but grasping for straws at this point. hate lunch eaters but from time to time one seems to show up. any help would be appreciated
+
Did this problem ever get resolved I have the same condition on a 90hp 4 stroke ,everything you listed has been tried.

Back