Logo

2004 Mercury 50hp 4stroke overheating

Mason_derieux

Got a skiff from a buddy with a 50hp Mercury w/ only 240 hours on it. Second time running it it threw a continuous alarm when at a higher rpm. I Serviced the motor to check all the basics.Went home and replaced thermostat,water pump, changed oil and filter, plugs ect. Took it back out and same alarm at 3000 rpms. Took apart all the water lines and blew everything out with my compressor and salt away. Used the flush kit and then back flushed it through the thermostat to make sure no blockage in the lines. Also blew out that little wash out at the bottom of the manifold back down to the lower unit. Went through the elbows at fuel cooler an ect. Ran it at in the driveway in a trash can at low rpms it was fine but at high idle it was still overheating. Went to check low oil pressure. Put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and it and got good oil pressure around 35 psi at 300 rpms. Still looks like a little to much pressure build up in water lines. Tell tail will continue to flush about 30-45 seconds after killing the motor and the last bit of water is pretty hot.

About to through in the towel looking for any direction. Is their a poppet valve on this model? I couldn’t find one on the diagram.

Thanks for the help

Back