Logo

2004 Johnson 15 hp 2 stroke problems

dkp1993

I am stumped. I bought this boat in December and have had problems with the motor since that day.

The motor cranks up when cold perfectly. It will run for five minutes but won't idle on its own. It is impossible to crank it back after about five minutes when it dies. I have replaced the thermostat, impeller, spark plugs, and ignition coil. It has overheated before but still has great compression. IDK what the problem is. It seems like a faulty sensor or something but I am not a mechanic and really frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok.. so it runs for 5 or so minutes when started cold and then dies??
Once the motor is warmed and it dies and fails to restart....Check for spark. ignition components often start to show signs when warm/hot.
if both cylinders have spark...you say it has good compression...so all you need is fuel at that point. if you have all 3, then check to make sure the spark is at the right time (IE check engine timing).

what caused the motor to overheat previously?

Ok.. so it runs for 5 or so minutes when started cold and then dies??
Once the motor is warmed and it dies and fails to restart....Check for spark. ignition components often start to show signs when warm/hot.
if both cylinders have spark...you say it has good compression...so all you need is fuel at that point. if you have all 3, then check to make sure the spark is at the right time (IE check engine timing).

what caused the motor to overheat previously?
The thermostat was broken.

Post the actual compression numbers.-----Checked all wires for melted insulation ?
I would have to do the test again. As for the wires, I am not sure. Would that cause a problem once the motor warmed up? Honestly, I am new to working on boat motors so I am green to all of this.

I would love to help you with some testing.-----But you are likely 1006 miles away.----You have to do the inspection / testing.----Sorry.

Back