Logo

2004 Honda BF150

GGroce

Guys,

I'm running into a problem and before i bringing it to a shop thought I would throw this out to see if anyone has possible answers.

I have a 2004 Honda 150 that I can idle or run slow all day however when I run the engine up to 4K-5K rpm's for a few minutes I get a temp alarm. The motor is not hot and if I turn the key off and back on 10 seconds later I am good to go for another 5 or so minutes until the same thing occurs.
Again the motor is not hot and spitting water fine. I can then run at 1K-2K rpm's for as long as I want with no issues.

Any Ideas.

Thanks
Gene

Well, seeing as how everything seems ok until you get on the throttle and things start shakin', I'm inclined to think it might be a loose connection somewhere. Sometimes, a particular harmoniic created in an rpm band of the engine can wiggle the wiring just "so" and have A bad connection show up on a consistent basis

And, looking at the parts pages on boats.net I see no less than 5 water sensors. 4 of them are in the chainsaw (see items 5 and 31 and 32 in the link below.)

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...4/BF150A4 LA/CHAIN CASE THERMOSTAT/parts.html

The other water sensor is located on the side of the engine block.

Plenty of chances for a loose/poor connection. Depending on how ambitious you are, you may be able to take the case cover off and inspect each connector for anything out of the ordinary.

Although, troubleshooting these things without a Dr. H and a shop manual is pretty much limited to visual and wire continuity checks. But, it could be as simple as a loose or poorly seated plug in connector.

Another thing that can cause electrical "gremlins" is a bad or failing alternator. An alternator with failing rectifier diodes can begin introducing alternating current into the DC system. This can cause ECM to misinterpret electrical signals and strange things can begin to happen.
At a minimum, you can set your DVOM to AC volts and read across the battery terminals. Do this at idle and at 2500 rpm. If you get a steady ac volt reading above .050 vac (50 millivolts) you may have an alternator going bad.

There, that's my "couple of things" to check. I hope you get it sorted out without too much pain.

Good luck

At this point careful not to get confused with the mechanics of the system as there is only one alarm the same alarm is used for over heat and oil pressure on some motors the indicator light will light up as well as the alarm will sound telling you the oil pressure in the system is low make sure you know the difference between the oil pressure alarm and over heat, its easy to get confused between the two .k:)

Back