Logo

2004 F60 - No power to tilt/trim and starter.

Hi Im not sure what to do next here:
- Started fine then next day at ramp there was no power to trim/tilt or starter. I jumped on and read a few threads here and then...

Checked:
- Battery (12.9V)
- Cleaned and checked Positive and ground to motor
- Im an amateur with a multi meter however:
* engine fuse sound
* power to starter motor/relay (sligthly less V than @ battery)
* power to trim/tilt relay (id just replaced the trim tilt relay and motor in last 6 months)
* checked and cleaned all connections

In short Id think it should start but no - silence when I try the trim/tilt and starter

for full disclosure the motor was drowned about 2 years ago however hasnt missed a beat since cleaned and serviced.

Any ideas welcome. BTW Im in West Aust and the weather is beautiful and I cant get out :(

My idea would be to trouble shoot the electrical system. But first we need to know what has been done and maybe what has not been done.

Are you talking about both the remote control switch and the engine switch for the trim/tilt relay not working or just the remote control switch?

When you say that you have power to the trim/tilt relay and the starter motor relay I presume that you mean battery power. That power is unfused.

You also need power to the control circuit side of the relays. That power comes via the fused red wire that goes to the ten pin harness and up to the key switch and trim switch. Then to the starter motor relay via a brown wire (key turned to the start position) and via a blue or green wire (trim switch pressed up or down) to the trim/tilt relay.

See if the components are working first. If so, if us know. We can then go from there.

Thanks so much Boscoe! Really appreciate the time and effort to help me out here. Loved the diagram and instructions. I followed your advice and all checked out. I then bypassed my battery cables and went direct to the motor and all good both tilt and motor started so must've been a bad cable. I'm back on the water! thanks again!

My idea would be to trouble shoot the electrical system. But first we need to know what has been done and maybe what has not been done.

Are you talking about both the remote control switch and the engine switch for the trim/tilt relay not working or just the remote control switch?

When you say that you have power to the trim/tilt relay and the starter motor relay I presume that you mean battery power. That power is unfused.

You also need power to the control circuit side of the relays. That power comes via the fused red wire that goes to the ten pin harness and up to the key switch and trim switch. Then to the starter motor relay via a brown wire (key turned to the start position) and via a blue or green wire (trim switch pressed up or down) to the trim/tilt relay.

See if the components are working first. If so, if us know. We can then go from there.

Hey dark star - thanks for the advice. I looked into the starter cables and must've been as you said the bad connection was in the sheath/cable. Appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Back