Logo

2004 Crusader ground issue

Luce5050

So I have a Crusader inboard 2004 rebuilt before I bought it, has 15 hrs on it, on my custom 24ft wooden picnic boat that has a ground issue according to my outboard mechanic and many others I've spoken to. Every time the boat hits a wave or I turn quickly the ignition shuts off/engine sputters and backfires. Otherwise on a calm flat day it runs perfect.

I have been told to check all the grounds on the engine as they have replaced all the electronic issues it could be and they have ensured it's getting fuel.

Im wondering where to I start this wonderful journey. I have an ohm meter and can check lost ground, but am trying to get some help on where should I start with ground and if anyone else has experienced this issue.

a bit more detail on than engine, beyond 'crusader inboard 2004', would help a bunch.

I doubt it is a loose ground, specifically, but more likely one or more poor seated/damaged connectors, especially if its a computer controlled engine.

A spark tester is a wonderful device to verify you have (or are losing) a working ignition system.

A final suggestion is the wiggle test...get the engine running and proceed to wiggle every wire connector you can see...it will be obvious when you find the ones that need attention.

The engine is a 5.7 liter MPI small block. Working with my Mercury outboard mechanic who works on my other boat engine did a fuel pressure test, replace wires and plugs, checked for spark, and hanged the distributor to rule all those issues out. We also did every wiggle test imaginable and even wiggled every wire under the dash with the ignition and main board while going over waves and turning, this is when it shutters and backfires. Everyone including, my outboard mechanic and Crusader rebuild shop in Ma. has told me to check all the grounds.

My other question, was wondering about water in the bilge causing a short connection? I was having a leak in my propeller shaft last year and there was always water in the Bolshevik and I was wondering if the splashing on the bottom of the engine may have contributed to the issue?

Sounds like a loose wire or connection. As Mark said start wiggling the wires until it quits. Also does it quit whichever way that you turn or just one way? That could help you in locating the issue.

I have literally wiggled every wire while the boat is under load running past 2500 RPM. This only occurs when I hit a wave or when I abruptly turn right on the boat and the boat starts to bounce. I am just wondering if water in the bilge could've be causing the issue since I did have a good bit of water last year in the bilge due to a leak from the propeller shaft?

I have been reading a lot about water in the bite causing shorts. I do believe it's a bad ground somewhere. The hardest part is having every single ground cleaned which I've done and I have to wait until the boat gets put in the water to see if I fixed it

I have literally wiggled every wire while the boat is under load running past 2500 RPM. This only occurs when I hit a wave or when I abruptly turn right on the boat and the boat starts to bounce. I am just wondering if water in the bilge could've be causing the issue since I did have a good bit of water last year in the bilge due to a leak from the propeller shaft?

I have been reading a lot about water in the bite causing shorts. I do believe it's a bad ground somewhere. The hardest part is having every single ground cleaned which I've done and I have to wait until the boat gets put in the water to see if I fixed it
Ayuh,..... Did you start at the battery,..?? removed, cleaned to shiny metal Clean, then reinstall,..??
Both ends, of both cables,..??

I did that already. The batteries were replaced and all the connections cleaned and reinstalled. Engine is getting plenty of spark

Back