Logo

2003 Mercury Optimax DFI 200hp dog clutch question?

Ranger626

I have an '03 Optimax 200hp and I just want some help identifying the problem with it. The motor has been running great and haven't had any issues lately at all. Towards the end of the day I was idling in 40ft of water with it in forward gear, when I went to get on plane the motor popped out of gear and RPM's went up. The motor stayed running and I put it back in neutral. When I went to go back in forward absolutely nothing happened, same with reverse. Used the trolling motor and made it back to the ramp. With the boat out of the water and motor off when I have someone spin the prop while I put it in gear the prop engages in both forward and reverse. Linkage appears to be going full throw both directions as well.

My main question is if my dog clutch is bad will the prop engage while motor is off? And the fact that both forward and reverse went out would the be normal for a dog clutch problem?
Thanks in advanced!!!

Check the gear oil for metal bits.----Then inspect prop drive bushing ( rubber ) as it may have let go.-----This does sound expensive to me.

Okay I figured draining the lower unit would be the next step. Would a little bit of metal shavings be normal?I haven't drained this lower unit and I don't have anything to compare it to.

Are you saying prop drive bushing as in a spun prop or is that something more?

Often the drain screws will have a wee magnet ( filter ) and some fine fuzz on them are OK.----Chunks is bad news.

That would be the same.----But a spun hub will usually still push the boat along at low speeds.---Drain the gear oil.-----It might look like ----" metal flake paint "-----That would be expensive.

Usually a hub doesn't suddenly fail ... but these units are bad about snapping driveshaft off at pinion

Okay thanks for the info. If the driveshaft was snapped do you think the prop would engage when the motor is off. For instance when I put the gear selector in forward the prop will not move. It seems like the dog clutch is engaging and I'm not sure but, if the driveshaft had snapped would it spun freely?

Depends on if broken and where as it can be at pinion and still feel ok by hand but will slip if say foot pressure applied.

Back