Logo

2003 Johnson Model J115PLSRC wont start

Barry Jamieson

when I pull the starter it works great in my hand. spins fast, but when i screw it in to the flywheel teeth it just clicks. i am wondering if I have a week starter or is my flywheel not turning for some other reason? how can i verify one or the other? Thanks

Check voltage at battery 12.4,then at batt. terminal on starter should read the same, If not check voltage drop from +batt.terminal to +batt. terminal on starter,should be no greater than .3 volts,possible bad cable + side. If reading is good,pull starter,have tested at auto parts store,usually free

Remove the spark plugs...... If you can turn the engine by hand, then obviously the problem is not the powerhead.

ok I replaced the + side with a short battery cable, still was dropping some .8 volts and same symptom, the starter engages but does not turn flywheel. I keep thinking the flywheel is frozen but don't know how to verify. I have a used lower unit put in boat a year ago. I pulled the 4 spark plugs and still had no luck with flywheel moving at all.

ok I replaced the + side with a short battery cable, still was dropping some .8 volts and same symptom, the starter engages but does not turn flywheel. I keep thinking the flywheel is frozen but don't know how to verify. I have a used lower unit put in boat a year ago. I pulled the 4 spark plugs and still had no luck with flywheel moving at all.

I pulled the 4 spark plugs and still had no luck with flywheel moving at all.

This "flywheel not moving at all" mentioning!..... Specify what you're doing!

Are you attempting to move/turn the flywheel by hand?

Are you ignoring our request that you try to turn the flywheel by hand?

You seem to be hung up with the electric starter and possible cable problem but we cannot give some answers you're looking for without having you answer our questions.

found the main starter wire harness has a very corroded and know broken wire. not sure if this is directly related to the not cranking problem but will fix that next.

found the main ignition wire harness connector behind key had a very corroded and broken wire when I pulled it apart. Not sure if this is directly related to the not cranking problem but will fix that next. As far as the fly-wheel, I cannot see it at all, there is like 20 screws holding down various covers so I cannot see the wheel. So I couldn't turn it by hand.

Last edited:
Back