Logo

2003 Johnson 150 overheating

hv2hunt

I just purchased a pontoon this summer with the Johnson 150 (2stroke) on it. So far I have had to replace the stator, the flywheel and I replaced the water pump. The plugs have been replaced, the thermostats have been replaced and the primer bulb, then I noticed the carbs leaking in the throttle body's, so I rebuilt 3 of the 6. It has all been running good until fired it u after the carb stuff, the moor ran fine but the water temp light came on and even now after a couple days. a turn the key on an the water temp is still going off. I have put the temperature gun on the head and it doesn't seem to be running hot. About 150 to 170 range depending where you point it. Why wont the alarm go off???????????

Your post sort of makes it difficult to determine if you're speaking of the warning horn sounding in conjunction with the overheat warning light, hence my reply below.

With the warning horn blaring, disconnect the TAN wire directly from the horn. If the horn continues to sound with that TAN wire disconnected, the horn itself is faulty, in which case, replace it.

Note that the overheat and fuel restriction warning is the same if you're speaking of the warning horn... meaning that if the warning horn is sounding constantly and steadily, possibly a fuel restriction exists instead of a overheating problem.

Your post sort of makes it difficult to determine if you're speaking of the warning horn sounding in conjunction with the overheat warning light, hence my reply below.

With the warning horn blaring, disconnect the TAN wire directly from the horn. If the horn continues to sound with that TAN wire disconnected, the horn itself is faulty, in which case, replace it.

Note that the overheat and fuel restriction warning is the same if you're speaking of the warning horn... meaning that if the warning horn is sounding constantly and steadily, possibly a fuel restriction exists instead of a overheating problem.

Sorry, The gauge on the dash is what is lighting up. And the alarm "beeeeeeeeeps" or about 5 second solid. The gauge is 2inch diameter, and reads 4 lines NO OIL,WATER TEMP, CHECK ENGINE and LOW OIL. The beeeeeeeeep goes off after a couple seconds now but the water temp light stays on.

Attachments

• smalle.jpg
    smalle.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 267
The alarm wanted off about 5 to 10 minutes into the test run, after idling a short time the high temp alarm reset. I don’t think my problem is the alarm, because when the alarm sounded after a day on the water and during the test run the engine started missing and shaking. After the engine cooled down the miss and shaking went away. With the temperature difference between the sides is what concerns me, do I have a crack and a bad head gasket?

After a discussion here, when we out on the water and the engine started heating and the alarm sounded, the engine started missing and shaking until we got below 2000. Does this have a type of a “limp home mode”?

Ray.... This post is over five (5) years old. It's best you start a new post to obtain proper coverage.

FYI... That engine is equipped with the S.L.O.W. mode feature whereas if it starts to overheat, it goes into SLOW mode by knocking out the ignition on the starboard bank.

Back