Logo

2003 Honda BF25A question

Phines15

I have a question about my 2003 BF25A. I fish at a reservoir with a 25hp limit and typically travel 8-10 miles to where I fish. Can change the ecm or make other changes to make it run the extra rpm’s to make it like a BF30A ? Every little bit of hp and weight matters . Thank you !! Pat

Personally I wouldn’t change out an ECM. I’d be looking at getting/keeping your existing engine in top shape. Take a close look at your gear, maybe you can shed a few pounds there, a different prop might help a bit, condition of the hull, if your engine is too low it will cause unnecessary drag. A more expensive route might be to find a lighter/smaller boat if feasible.

I agree with William01.

I think you will find that increasing engine rpm will only increase engine wear and the risk of damage.

While using a different ecm MIGHT yield a performance increase by mapping a different spark timing, it's more than likely it would be just the opposite.

Increasing horsepower is, more often than not, mostly a function of increasing the amount of fuel burned. That involves many things....more fuel....obviously... but more fuel alone usually only ends up in running rich, wasting that fuel, increased emissions and LESS horsepower output as a result.

Cam lobe lift and valve timing changes usually need to be made to allow enough air in to burn that extra fuel.

Getting enough air through the intake/carburetor would/could be another factor.

I just don't believe in "hot rodding" a well designed outboard is worth the effort.

As William suggests, you might get a slight high speed gain with a different prop but finding that prop may prove difficult...and expensive...at best.

As he said, weight distribution or removing some altogether might be your easiest, quickest and cheapest way to go.

Good luck.

Back