Logo

2003 honda 115 hp hard start

MIAMIBOY

HI , im new to the forum so hello to all , I got a 2003 Honda 115 hp it ran great last 4 weekends but the other night I went out and everytime I go start it , it try but wont so I pen throttle and it starts then it idles and runs great , the fuel pump I ca hear it start and I changed the plugs , someone told me check thermostat but I replace that like a 1 yr ago , can it be leaking injector ?? I tried a external fuel tank same thing .thank you

Hi MIAMIBOY,
Welcome to the forum!
I agree with CHawk_man.....be as detailed as you can about how you get it to start and what you are seeing...hearing....and feeling.

What we have now is "so I pen throttle" and "fuel pump I ca hear it start"....which leaves ME at least saying "huh"?

You open the throttle? You can hear the fuel pump running? That's what I THINK you mean but...slow down and tell the whole story.

Also, provide the FRAME # in case it gets down to if there may be any recalls or updates that need to be checked in order to get you the help you need.

Sorry you're having problems with your Honda!

HI guys sorry , when I just try to start the motor up normal it wont start I keep trying finally when It feels like it wants to start I open up the throttle and it will start up and then it will idle and run fine , when I turn it off that's it same thing only start if I open up throttle . when I open the ignition I can here my fuel pump run , I check the float inside and fuel gets in there I changed the plugs and still same problem .

Most likely, your problem revolves around the Idle Air Control ....part #26 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2003/BF115A3 LA/INTAKE MANIFOLD/parts.html

It could be defective; the screen (part #25) could be carboned up....so clean it with mild solvent; the holes under the screen could be clogged with debris; the wiring to the IAC could be faulty; or the part of the ECM that controls the IAC could be faulty.

It might also help to clean the carbon buildup out of the inside of throttle body. You just have to take the plastic muffler (on the front of the engine) off to get to it.

Mike

I agree with Mike about cleaning the IAC screen....actually item #24....

And, while we're on the page that Mike sent....take the vacuum line (item #44) off of the fuel pressure regulator (item #9) and look inside the line for any evidence of gasoline. The line should be BONE DRY with no signs of moisture from gas leaking past the regulator diaphragm.

THEN..... CAREFULLY clean the throttle body....see the parts diagram of the throttle body below:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2003/BF115A3 XA/THROTTLE BODY/parts.html

3M makes an EXCELLENT spray cleaner just for cleaning the throttle body. Available at MOST auto parts stores. I would suggest using it as opposed to going in and wiping and manhandling things. You don't want to accidentally wipe off or scratch any of the special coating that is on the inside of the throttle bore with harsh cleaners or a rag that may have a piece of dirt or debris embedded in it.

Do those things and see if it doesn't get better. Let us know either way.

Good luck.

Back