Logo

2003 Formula 40 PC 8.1 HO Guardian Issue

GetRealLV

My partner picked this boat up used. Other than some bottom fouling in fresh water (Lake Mead, NV) the boat appears pristine especially for the year. First one hour run across the lake to move to another marina without issues at all. Second run the guardian engaged on the starboard engine limited to about 3200 RPM, and showed a seawater fault. I did some research and ended up pulling a fair amount of freshwater mussels out of the strainer which seemed to resolve the issue. The boat now runs fine, but there are still some warnings on the monitor. All gauge temps, etc appear to be normal.

I don't want him to cause any further damage even though it runs well.
How do I determine what monitor he has and find a manual?
Can the errors be cleared to start fresh?
What code reader/software is applicable?
Could a blockage in the strainer have taken out the impeller?:confused:

Thanks in advance or any input.

The serial number will enable you to get the correct manual as well as parts.... think #36 cover the 555 ECM separate from the engine.

Most codes stored in the ECU and be cleared out....

The 'standard' for the scanner function are the Rinda products - either software and cable for your laptop or stand-alone handheld units.

Yes, restrictions in the water inlet can shorten the life of the impeller....wouldn't be a bad idea to go over the pump given the age...

The serial number will enable you to get the correct manual as well as parts.... think #36 cover the 555 ECM separate from the engine.

Most codes stored in the ECU and be cleared out....

The 'standard' for the scanner function are the Rinda products - either software and cable for your laptop or stand-alone handheld units.

Yes, restrictions in the water inlet can shorten the life of the impeller....wouldn't be a bad idea to go over the pump given the age...

Thank you for the info. I need the engine serial number correct? Best place to order manuals?

Yes...if you know what you need, the reselling sites are viable....otherwise, a good dealer will make sure you get the correct material the first time.

Back