Logo

2003 DT150 Oil Flow Issue

Hildy4866

Last month I purchased a boat from a dealership that has a Suzuki DT150 2-stoke motor on it. I put it in the water and ran it for 45 minutes 6 days after purchase, and it ran like a dream. Plenty of power, good water flow from the water pump, and no alarms going off. 2 days ago, I put it back in the water after installing a new trolling motor, electronics, etc. and had issues with the oil light starting to flicker around 3000 rpm, and then the Rev limiter light and alarm coming on as well. yesterday we were fishing on a No Wake Lake and the engine seemed to idle rougher and smoked more than I remember.

The dealership had been completely through the boat, and it ran great the first time I had it on the water, but this weekend was a different story. The only things different between the initial time I used the boat and this weekend was that 1) in was 25 degrees colder this weekend than my initial outing, and 2) I had filled the oil reservoir on the engine with some 2-stroke marine oil I already had at home.

My initial thought is that the oil I put into the reservoir is not being compatible with this engine, thus causing a restriction in oil flow when I get around 3000 rpm's. I also don't know if it could be of a different viscosity, or the colder weather, thus causing a low oil flow as well.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Back