Logo

2003 bf225

old seasalt

Water in the lower unit. I intend to replace all seals and O-rings. I have removed bolts that secure propeller shaft seals. Do I need to use a wheel puller to get to the seals that work the shaft since it appears/seems frozen? H-E-L-P.

Yes...I took mine apart a while back. I made a puller with chains and hooks on it to pull out the propeller shaft holder. It will slide out.

If you heat the gear case around the propshaft holder with a heat gun it will expand, making removal of the prop shaft holder easier.

Bob

Before you pull the prop shaft holder, be sure that you remove the water pump and shift shaft. The shift shaft pin goes into part #6 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...003/BF225A3 XA/PROPELLER SHAFT (1)/parts.html

If you try to pull the prop shaft out with the shift shaft still in, it will not come out but worst of all the little ball bearings #28 will fly out and possibly locate themselves in front of the forward gear. Then, unless you are really lucky, you will have to disassemble the complete drive to get the forward gear out to get those little devils.

Just saying from experience. I only did it once.

Mike

Back