Logo

2003 90 hp 2 stroke, worth getting any know problems

Glasspar Scott

I am looking at getting a used 03 90 hp 2 stroke with controls and was wondering if that was worth getting and does it have any know problems to look for. I currently run an 85 that I have not had real long but would like to get something I can get parts for and wont leave me stranded. Just not familiar with this model. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a 2002 in 2004. Ran it 10 years on ethanol. Fuel lines dissolved, black specks of internal fuel lines and clogged with brown chips. Manual states to expect problems if compression is less than 120. I always ran Pennzoil Super Premium TC-W3 from Wally world. Cold natured for first start of the outing, especially if sitting for a month give or take. Once initial start, starts right up.

I'd change the lower unit oil and impeller in the water pump, fuel pump kit, carb kits, internal fuel filter , internal fuel lines, fuel supply line and bulb to engine, thermostat (143F) and high speed popoff, both under the same cover on the top, left side of engine block rear water jacket...encircles the spark plugs. Prop it to run at the top end of the recommended RPM band...5500 at wide open throttle. Very reliable engine. ebay sells a 5/16" aluminum check valve that I found helpful. Seems even the top of the line fuel line squeeze bulb has a sorry check valve which lets the carb drain back into the fuel tank. Putting one of these valves between the bulb and the tank makes a heck of a difference when priming the engine for first start, and warm engine starts are quicker too, fewer times to have to pull up the fast idle to get it to light off. For about $10 it's well worth your time.

On starting the engine cold, fast idle all the way up [Commander 2000 with fast idle lever.....Commander 3000 is an inbulkhead mount and you have to push in on the big black button on the shift/throttle lever while advancing the throttle (10 o'clock position is far enough) to get the same effect as fast idle lever on 2000].....a real pia if you ask me........ Squeeze bulb till firm, Turn key to on and push in and hold for 30 seconds or so. Roll the key on over to Start. If it lights off, push the key to choke and release as needed till it stabilizes. If it doesn't light off, pump the bulb back up till firm and repeat.....engine needs to be vertical for best results...after engine is hot it should light off at idle, no nothing but turning the key. If you stopped to fish and it took half an hour or so you might need some light priming, bulb doesn't need to be squeezed necessarily.

Additional rememberance: Check the little black plastic clips that interconnect the carb to carb and carbs to throttle linkage stainless steel wire. If cracked or sloppy fit get new. Get a manual.....ebay has the classic 1994 up 3 and 4 cylinder mercs but with a 2015 update. That has some changes from the original manual. If engine isn't performing, go to the manual and do a "link and sync".....sets up the carb to carb and carbs to throttle/timing linkages and lever.

I never posted one on this site but on another site, my avatar is my 90 on a 17+ aluminum bass boat, 24P Ballistic prop, 56-5700 RPMS, 50 MPH on a cold day. The picture was on my cell phone and it cratered and I couldn't get the photo off it to use it other places.

I sold the 90 hp rig and last year acquired a 2002 115, 4 cyl, same engine basically. It spent it's life on gasoline. Part of my initial activities included things mentioned above. No black specks, running a cotton swab inside the engines fuel lines at the filter when replacing and swab came out almost perfectly clean. The filter contained the tan chips like the 90.....tan chips coming from the inlet hose (cut it open to investigate) which apparently was OEM and I had replaced as part of the initial activities. So, there is a side by side comparison of gas and E10.....opinion. On small engines around the place, having decided to go only with gas, I have no more problems with rubber deteriorating or corrosion on these seldom used engines, 2 and 4 stroke.

Back