Logo

2003 5hp Merc - no tell tale water stream after impeller replacement

txjm

I recently purchased a 2003 5hp 2 stroke with almost no hours on it. I am guessing I destroyed the impeller when I was playing with it to get it started. I did not have it in water. I have now replaced only the impeller because everthing had so few hours. I have had it in water well above the intake and it blows air really well but no water. I have pulled it apart once and some of the impeller blades were backwards. I think I did this when installing the lower unit. I think I reversed the shaft direction playing with it. I reinstalled the impeller and was VERY careful. I now get a stronger stream of air but no water. I have the lower unit in the water almost to the shifter connection access plug. I don't know where it would even get air.
When I originally took it apart, I did not find enough parts to account for all of the impeller pieces.
Any ideas?
Chip

Water in your bucket / test tank MUST be 6 / 8" above the pump itself !

Thanks, I will cut a 55gal plastic barrel in stead of using the 5 gal bucket. I pulled it apart again. the impeller was correct. I dug 3 or 4 more pieces of the old impeller out of various places. I blew air through all the passages. As far as I can tell, it is clear.
Chip

I tried deeper in the water. I have water coming out. It is intermittent. I get a spray, then solid,, then nothing, then solid, then steam. Should I run it on the boat and watch the tell tale???. Maybe I still have impeller bits somewhere and a little water will move them to where I can get them. I am only running a few seconds at a time.
chip

Its is definitely related to the water around the pump and where air bubbles are. I put it in gear and it was perfect. It was a solid stream. It definitely catches air in the little bucket. I am going to run it on the boat and verify. I believe it is fixed. Thank you
Chip

Good man. I worked on one simiilar to those and could not get it to pump--didn't know about the deep water requirement. Drove me nuts!

Jeff

Back