Logo

2003 40hp grommet added to carb

Troutscout

Why was a grommet add under the plate on the carb to block that hole? what was the purpose? I have a 2002 NS40D2 without this grommet blocking this off. Should it be added now?

I was having issues with starting and idle when cold. It also was not going to full rpm, sputtering and coughing for 5 -10 seconds around 3000rpm then accelerating to 5500 and running great at top end. When throttling down it would do the same thing until below 3000rpm.
I pulled the carbs off cleaned, soaked and reassembled. In this process I found out about the grommet added in 2003 to block off the hole under the plate. I've put the cabs back on and run it with muffs, started great and idled nicely. in the water next to adjust the pilots as per the Manual.
I'm just very curious as to whether I should add the grommets to my carb?

grommet wasn't in the original parts diagram but then added as 1-21 to the carb diagram.

The carbs of the D model (superceded by the D2) likely had that area closed off by the aluminum casting. If you have the opening of the later models, you probably want that grommet.

Back