Logo

2003 225 HO - System Check continuous beep and rev limit light when key turned on

JSmitty

I have a 2003 Evinrude 225 HO that my marina's rigger has installed. He's a Mercury-certified mechanic and not familiar with OMC, so neither of us know what is causing the problem.

If you turn the key there is a continuous beep and the Beede System Check tach goes right to the Rev Limit light, which stays lit. He claims that both the Check Engine and Rev Limit stayed on when he fired the motor up for a short period this week. I've personally only tested turning the key a notch and seeing the Rev Limit light stay on.

I have a service manual on order. I also found out that I need a "System Check" oil tank (currently have a VRO), so I ordered one of those also (although I can't imagine the lack of that sensor is causing the problem).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Are you running with a Yamaha Beede instrument?
If so, try with an OMC/Bombardier.
Being a Ficht engine, all you need to 'convert; the normal VRO tank is a return oil nipple, 5/16.
The suction (to engine) should be 1/4.

Being a Ficht engine, all you need to 'convert; the normal VRO tank is a return oil nipple, 5/16.

Hello Mort...please clarify.....what do you mean by "The suction (to engine) should be 1/4." One fourth of what...what units, ???

Thanks for the reply.

No, it's a Beede OMC System Check gauge.

Thought I might need the System Check tank in order to work with the System Check low oil light. I got a deal on it, so it wasn't too expensive.

Peaking of instruments are mostly caused by missing ground.
However pull the plug at the back of the instrument, locate the 'gray' rpm cable, turn ignition 'ON' and check for voltage.
With engine not running, it should be nothing.
Oil hoses.
Seen to often that non-BRP mechs do the msitake of connecting the oil-hoses wrong.
Oil TO engine is the smaller hose, 1/4" dia that connects to the smallest tube on the engine. The oil return hose is 5/16" (Bigger). Fuel line is 3/8" the biggest one on the engine.
After the Ficht's came on the marked, all oil-tanks were equipped with the return nipple, but it was simply blocked at the tank on the normal 2-strokes VRO. The low-oil alarm system is the same.

Oh Oh Oh...I see now what you are saying...very sorry...I just did not read the post as you wrote it.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Peaking of instruments are mostly caused by missing ground.
However pull the plug at the back of the instrument, locate the 'gray' rpm cable, turn ignition 'ON' and check for voltage.
With engine not running, it should be nothing.
Oil hoses.
Seen to often that non-BRP mechs do the msitake of connecting the oil-hoses wrong.
Oil TO engine is the smaller hose, 1/4" dia that connects to the smallest tube on the engine. The oil return hose is 5/16" (Bigger). Fuel line is 3/8" the biggest one on the engine.
After the Ficht's came on the marked, all oil-tanks were equipped with the return nipple, but it was simply blocked at the tank on the normal 2-strokes VRO. The low-oil alarm system is the same.

Excellent. Thanks.

I will try the voltage check this Friday. I believe the input oil hose is hooked up correctly because the "unused" one coming out of the engine blew the plug out of the end and started spewing oil in the splashwell, but I'll double-check.

Back