Logo

2003 150 hpdi (Z150TXRB) trim tilt and starter issue.

shinola

Contributing Member
First time poster to the Yamaha forum, I usually live over in the Evinrude/Johnson forum for some old antiques I have.

But I also have and love my old Yamaha 150 hpdi. Been a great motor for a long time. This issue happened a few months back and I'm just getting around to fixing it.

So what happened: I was running for about ~30 minutes at mid/high throttle, probably around 3.5K RPM's pulling tubers when I started hearing a whining sound from the motor. So I came back to idle neutral and could still hear the wine. I cut the key off and that's the last time it ran. Since then I've had no power trim/tilt and starter wouldn't run. To get back to the dock I had tow-boat US tow me, and to get the boat on the trailer I had to manually lift the motor with the bypass open.

While stile on the water, before the tow boat got to me, I removed the cowling and the flywheel cover. I found the starter bendix stuck in the flywheel. I'm not 100% certain that it was like this for the 30 minute ride, but I suspect it was and that was the source of the whining sound. I did however try the key several times after turning it off. Never heard the starter engage, but that's the only other possibility for the starter bendix being engaged with the fly wheel. It didn't take much, just a tap, to get the bendix disengaged.

Suspecting I had toasted the starter, I went ahead and bought a new aftermarket starter.

Any ideas on where I can start are greatly appreciated.

The trim tilt motor and the starter motor get their electrical power from the same power source. I would suspect a blown fuse.

Within the fuse box, there are 2 80 Amp fuses (now superseded by 60 Amp replacements) but mine are still original. I get continuity through the two installed and the spare. All of the other fuses are 20 Amp or 30 Amp. They are also all good.

Local parts dealer with helpful staff recommended I try bypassing the trim/tilt relay by connecting 12V to blue for up and green for down to see if the trim/tilt motor worked. I tried this, but didn't get anything. I had battery connected to the new starter, and used jumper cables to jump 12V to the blue wire on the relay and the green one. I just used the nuts over the terminal connectors, I didn't take them off. Not sure I'm doing this right.

The other test for the starter was to do the same thing, bypass the relay and jump 12V. I did this on the ground before I installed the starter. The bendix pushed out but the starter didn't turn. Now that I'm thinking about it, My batteries might be too low to start either the starter motor or the trim/tilt.

I have one new and one old battery. I'll put them on slow charge and try again tomorrow.

Back