Logo

2002 Mercury 25 won't start

bushwood

Contributing Member
I picked up an 11' Boston Whaler this past summer that had a 2002 Mercury 25hp 2 stroke with remote start/throttle. All was fine early on.

Then, without warning, suddenly the key start did not work. Not even turning over, zero, nada. Nothing trying to happen with key on. If I turn the key to the on position, I can pull start it and the engine has to be turned off via key. I checked the on engine fuse and it's fine. Plenty of battery volts. I pulled the neutral safety switch and went to far as to replace it (it was only $10 and seemed logical). Still nothing. I can't hear anything trying to happen when turning the key even jiggling the shifter.

At the risk of replacing the entire guts of the remote vs. purchasing one, is that worth it or what am I missing?

Thanks

Racerone,

I used a jumper from battery positive to starter. Spark show- nothing from the starter. I used the same jumper and touched the terminal from the solenoid to the starter and it engaged the starter. However, I touched the opposing terminal on the solenoid (from battery) and got a spark, no starter engagement.

Is the solenoid the culprit? Starter works, power from the battery.

Thanks!

Back