Logo

2002 Crusader 8.1 RPM drop problem continues

bob17412

History - 2002 Crusader 8.1 mpi std on 39 silverton MY. Had a number of problems with port engine in past subject of posts in 2011 with ultimate fix being replacement of ECM on port engine. Only about 300 hours on engines as I only go out a couple times a year and run in Lake Erie. When first purchased boat WOT under load was about 4400rpm with cruising speed at 3600 rpm and about 24mph. SOG.

In 2016 boat ran fine except it maxes out at full throttle on both engines at only 3400 rpm and 20 mph while running. (On a three hour run I was able to get up to 22.9 SOG and 3600 rpm.) In neutral engines will rev to about 4400.(As a side note and as posted in other threads the port tach is inop because the tach driver on the ECM is bad.) Starboard engine is original equipment, while port has had new ECM, fuel pumps, fuel filters, etc as a result of stalling problems. Mechanic at shop says probably just algae build up on bottom but sounds fishy to me. All fuel from local marina and all gas in tanks from 2016. At end of season I had the marina mechanic put diagnostics on the engines and he couldn’t find anything unusual indicating no codes, fuel pressure, etc was normal and rpm’s were consistent with reading on starboard tach. (I am not a mechanic so taking him at his word). I did replace plugs in both engines as well as pancake fuel filters and filters in FCC. None of the filters were significantly dirty. Pick up tube was clean and anti siphon checked.

Now the real kicker, took boat out over fourth of July, 2017 on flat lake and engine only reached 3400rpm and 15 mph SOG. (Did have 13 people on board). HELP, only things left I can think of from reading other posts is to replace the ECM on port engine again, the throttle sensor, or have fuel injectors checked. One other possibility – I know prop shafts have never been cleaned with slight grime build up. Bottom gets cleaned yearly and painted(last 2014) but not sure about the prop shaft

History - 2002 Crusader 8.1 mpi std on 39 silverton MY. Had a number of problems with port engine in past subject of posts in 2011 with ultimate fix being replacement of ECM on port engine. Only about 300 hours on engines as I only go out a couple times a year and run in Lake Erie. When first purchased boat WOT under load was about 4400rpm with cruising speed at 3600 rpm and about 24mph. SOG.

In 2016 boat ran fine except it maxes out at full throttle on both engines at only 3400 rpm and 20 mph while running. (On a three hour run I was able to get up to 22.9 SOG and 3600 rpm.) In neutral engines will rev to about 4400.(As a side note and as posted in other threads the port tach is inop because the tach driver on the ECM is bad.) Starboard engine is original equipment, while port has had new ECM, fuel pumps, fuel filters, etc as a result of stalling problems. Mechanic at shop says probably just algae build up on bottom but sounds fishy to me. All fuel from local marina and all gas in tanks from 2016. At end of season I had the marina mechanic put diagnostics on the engines and he couldn’t find anything unusual indicating no codes, fuel pressure, etc was normal and rpm’s were consistent with reading on starboard tach. (I am not a mechanic so taking him at his word). I did replace plugs in both engines as well as pancake fuel filters and filters in FCC. None of the filters were significantly dirty. Pick up tube was clean and anti siphon checked.

Now the real kicker, took boat out over fourth of July, 2017 on flat lake and engine only reached 3400rpm and 15 mph SOG. (Did have 13 people on board). HELP, only things left I can think of from reading other posts is to replace the ECM on port engine again, the throttle sensor, or have fuel injectors checked. One other possibility – I know prop shafts have never been cleaned with slight grime build up. Bottom gets cleaned yearly and painted(last 2014) but not sure about the prop shaft

Well I am new to Crusader engines but not new to boats. I do not think a dirty bottom would limit your RPM's that much. If the bottom was that dirty your engine would be turning high RPM's and just not going anywhere. Have you dove under the boat to see how dirty the shafts are? Why would you put the boat back in with dirty shafts? Only need a piece of emery cloth to clean them? Anyway, does she still hit 4400 RPM when at the dock?

..... all gas in tanks from 2016.

Any additives added to the fuel tank back in 2016?

Also, be aware that the ECU doesn't monitor ALL things required for the engine to run correctly....newer versions get closer to this point than the older ones but there are still some situations where there won't be any codes.....

Put boat in with dirty shafts because of my ignorance. Will clean when taken out of water. Still get 4400 rpm at dock. Only additive was fuel stabilizer.

Put boat in with dirty shafts because of my ignorance. Will clean when taken out of water. Still get 4400 rpm at dock. Only additive was fuel stabilizer.

Well then first step has to be ruling out the bottom of the boat. Take it to shallow water. Get in the water and clean the bottom with a scrub brush on a stick. Then go under the boat with a dive mask and check the gear. I do this 2-3 times per season to check zincs and bottom growth. Especially since you have not painted the bottom in several years. Not sure how often it needs to be done in fresh water.

did you put enough stabilizer in, for the fuel in the tank? "gasoline" sold today has a 'shelf life' of about 30 days.....

Bob, would like to talk sometime if possible? I have been through the very same issues with my Tiara. ,two years & lots of $$$$$, not happy with Crusader at all! Wife has lost all interest in boating over these issues.

Back