Logo

2002 90hp johnson

joek

tried to start motor 2day ..but starter not turning engine over...will not pop up to engage flywheel..or even spin..have pwer all the way to starter..is there a start relay on these motors or any suggestions to see if i need new starter or module bolted on bottom of starter...any replys appreciated...

Load test your start circuit at the positive lead on the solenoid. Should be battery voltage and hold a load consistant with your battery rating. Put a meter on the post for the wire going to the starter. Turn the key to the start position. Any voltage? If so, then jump the solenoid by putting a screwdriver or something momentarily across the battery post and the starter post. If starter does not move and your battery is up to snuff, the starter has taken a dump.

thanks for reply back...found it to be my neutral safety swich in control...121.00 to replace...problem solved..took some wire testing though...also my fuel problem solved ..had to have a new 27 gal aluminum tank custom built to fit area under center console...old tank ..which was aluminum finally deteriated causing water to get in fuel...changed out tank all new fuel lines,filters.etc..lucky did not have to pull carbs...everything ready for ocean now..thanks to all who replied

Back