Logo

2002 75HP Mercury 2 stroke oil injected

I need help figuring out why my outboard 75HP 2002 Merc trims down by itself when I rev RPM up to go on plane and will not trim up at all. When I idle or motor is off trims up and down just fine. It was working fine before and just started having this issue. I tried trimming up motor then throw it in gear rev up and then slowly trims down by itself and will not trim up for me when I want to go faster. Any feedback how to fix this issue would be helpful. Hope it's not a serious issue.

The best case is that your manual release screw just needs to be snugged up, its a large nylon straight slot screw located on the starboard side of the trim pump base, there is a hole in the engine mounting bracket that gives access to the screw. Just make sure its SNUG not super tight (it's plastic) if that's not the problem tilt the engine all the way up, loosen the yellow fill plug and make sure the pump is full of fluid. That's about all you can do without going in for surgery.

I trimmed the motor up all the way and fluid appears fine and full. Checked for snugness on manual release screw and it was tight snug. If I go into for surgery what am I looking to do.? Is it better to just buy a used working hydraulic chamber and trim motor on E-Bay..?

No telling, no one can give you that level of advice that I have seen on this forum. The best advice is to sink the $75 on a factory service manual and walk through the troubleshooting sequences in that manual to diagnose the issue.

Back