Logo

2002 60 hp 4stroke EFI won't stay running

boatdock2

Here we go, I have a 2002 60 4stroke EFI that is having problems staying running.
Put fresh fuel in it and changed the fuel filter, along with Merc Dry Fuel. That seemed to help a little! But if you put it in gear and give throttle it dies? Thinmking maybe low side fuel pump? What'cha think? THANKS

History? Motor was last running fine when? Has this ever been dealer serviced? when and what did they do?

It could be one of the two fuel pumps or the VST could be gummed up or it could be a number of other matters, that's why the history is important. If this hasn't been run in a while and hasn't been serviced in the last year or two (whether by yourself or a dealer) then there is a good chance that your entire fuel system is gummed up...

Thanks, I'm going to run a DDT on it and see if evrything is good. I will keep you informed.
As far as history NO clue! more to come!

Well after running diagnostics on it, no faults. Checked fuel pressure at schrader low, took apart VST and looked clean. Touched the high pressure pump, and it fell off. The sleeve from the high pressure pump into the VST was gone. Cracked and weathered (I'm asuming from this ethanol gas?) Ordered part, and hoping this is the fix!

Problem GONE! The sleeve from high pressure pump to outlet (inside vst) was replaced and now starts easy and runs great! Thanks for all input!!

Back