Logo

2002 4.3 V6 Starter clicking sometime

botaman

Regular Contributor
New battery but, occasionally starter is still clicking sometime and other time it will crank right up. I would say 50 percent of the time it will just click but, eventually after 3-5 tries it will fire right up. Does it sound I need a starter? Or solenoid unit?

I'd like to have this issue fix soon, hate to be stranded in the middle of no where..:D

Slav solenoid.

Follow the positive cable to the slav when it doesn't start... jump it with the key on if it cranks you found your problem if not, it's the starter.

Use a screwdriver or pliers to short the two large studs on top of the slave solenoid together momentarily...hold on to the tool tightly.

Use a screwdriver or pliers to short the two large studs on top of the slave solenoid together momentarily...hold on to the tool tightly.
So I had a chance to take look at my slave solenoid, instead of two large studs there's only one, I'm sure one of the smaller studs must be the ignition but, I didn't try. I re-tight all the stud connections and so far 100% crank and no click.
Thanks everyone for your help.

So I had a chance to take look at my slave solenoid, instead of two large studs there's only one, I'm sure one of the smaller studs must be the ignition but, I didn't try. I re-tight all the stud connections and so far 100% crank and no click.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Ayuh,... Donno what ya found with 1 stud,...

Generally speakin', yer Issues are caused by corroded wirin' ends,...
Ya probably broke through the corrosion, tightenin' things up,...

Start at the battery, 'n work yer way along, removin', sandin' cleanin' to shiny metal clean, reinstall, 'n greasin' the connection points,...
'n don't forget all the Grounds,.....

Don't you foreign car Mechanics use Jumper wires to by-pass, 'n test things,..?? :D

Ayuh,... Donno what ya found with 1 stud,...

Generally speakin', yer Issues are caused by corroded wirin' ends,...
Ya probably broke through the corrosion, tightenin' things up,...

Start at the battery, 'n work yer way along, removin', sandin' cleanin' to shiny metal clean, reinstall, 'n greasin' the connection points,...
'n don't forget all the Grounds,.....

Don't you foreign car Mechanics use Jumper wires to by-pass, 'n test things,..?? :D

Yes, Bondo. We do it all the time :)

My apology, my slave solenoid does have two posts. Don't know why my memory doesn't serve me on occasionally.

But, the good news is hasn't have any clicking in ten tries. :)

Back