Logo

2001 Mercruiser Bravo 3 Milky Oil

Frantic

Hello All,

Here is my issue. My Father passed away after about a year of illness leaving me a 2001 Sea Ray with a 7.4 liter Mercruiser Bravo 3. I replaced a sea pump impeller, changed outdrive and engine oil, and went to the lake. After about 2 minutes of full throttle I notice the boat beginning to fill with water due to a missing freeze plug I had not noticed. Bilge on, I hurry back to the dock and retrieve the boat. After inspection, I am two quarts heavy on oil and it is the color of coffee creamer.

My question is, what are the chances that it is a head gasket rather than a cracked block? Also, assuming the worst that it is a cracked block, would I be better off replacing the boat or is it worth getting an engine?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
head gaskets dont push out "core plugs" freeze damage does. Taking on water and having it in the oil is a cracked block/and or manifolds

head gaskets dont push out "core plugs" freeze damage does. Taking on water and having it in the oil is a cracked block/and or manifolds

I thought the same. I suppose I just wanted a bit of confirmation. I appreciate your reply. In your opinion, would it be worth the time/money to replace the engine? If not, what are the options for the boat? Is the Bravo 3 outdrive worth anything?

Pull the intake manifold and look at the block. If it has freeze damage, you'll see right there.

hope not.

Jeff

Cracked or not, you probably removed all the babbit from the bearing shells running it like that full open. Rebuild or replace, but there are plenty of nice boats to be had for the 8-10 grand that replacing the engine will run you. Unless you can find a similar running take out nearby. Call around to your local marinas and shops...if you get the word out you might find one that's a good deal.
The B3 drive is worth a couple of stacks.

Burned the babbit out from the milky oil you mean?

I thought the Bravo would be worth something. I am not sure how to go about marketing it, though. Would you just do the same thing and call some shops to see if anyone is in need or try to post it on Craigslist or something of the like? Thank you

Back