Logo

2001 Mariner 40 - High idle coming out of gear

alt123

Hi all,
I have a 2001 Mariner 40 (Marathon, I think) 2-Stroke, 2 cylinder, single carb, oil injected.

Just picked this up as a tender during the week so getting to know it.

She starts from cold lovely and when I set her to idle, it seems just right (no tacho).

However, after going for a run (WOT to test it out, all speeds really) and putting her into neutral after, it idles very high... enough to give a loud clunk when going back into gear. Can't be sure but I reckon it could be around 1100RPM, maybe higher.

Is this normal? I can't remember exactly, I think if I leave it into neutral for a while it settles back down, I just can't remember. Obviously this is not ideal when returning to a jetty etc.

Any ideas?

As a guess, the carbs are not set right. When cold, the idle mixture is too lean (which is normal), but when it warms up it's spot on. Note that a perfect setting produces the highest idle speed.

I suggest turning the idle speed down (reduce the spark advance) to an acceptable rpm when warmed up, and be prepared to let it warm up a bit when cold before shifting.

Jeff

PS: Just thought of this--check your throttle cable to see if there's a lack of slack that could be holding the throttle open.

Back