Logo

2001 Johnson 70HP Timer Base Testing

ArimaJohnson

Hi, I'm in the process of trying to troubleshoot my motor's random issue of dropping #3 cylinder. The motor sometimes will only throttle to 3-3500rpms or you can be humming along at 4-5k rpms and suddenly lose rpms down to around the same rpms. After a while you try the throttle and sometimes it might come back.

Motor usually runs great with no issues. Last year experienced this once and then it was fine the rest of the year but the last 3 trips out it has happened each time .

This last time I experienced the issue I pulled each coil wire and it was #3 when pulled that made no difference in how it ran, and the other 2 immediately make it run rough or die. So I swapped coils to see if it followed and no change.

I got a multimeter and when checking the resistance on the timer base I get 2.8 on white to blue, 2.7 on the white to purple, and 11.2 on white to green and white to black/white 449.8. Green I believe represents #3 cylinder from the diagrams I have read. On one of the CDI troubleshooting guides , it says to replace timer base if over a 10% difference between blue, purple, and green. Is this a case closed to replace the timer base or should I still do the DVA test?

The other questionable thing I noticed was on some ohm settings I would get a higher reading like 580 from the blue and purple while green was 0L. And I did once get green to read the same as the other 2 but have not been able to replicate it again. I assume that is why the cylinder maybe sometimes fires?? No experience until now using a multimeter but this leads me to believe there is definitely something wrong with the green coming from the timer base. I did get a DVA adaptor but haven't had the opportunity to use it just yet. Almost seems to easy I guess.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Back