Logo

2001 Honda 130 - Starting issues

coastalmainer

Just re-powered with this motor this summer...and have some starting issues. The ignition that was put in is a Yamaha ignition...so there are no green/ red lights at the ignition switch. When I turn the key on I hear the two beeps and the fuel injection is audible. When it cranks it takes a long 10-20 seconds...then a third beep occurs and it starts right up.

After starting it seems to be fine, I am just concerned with the long crank time. Also, if i put the throttle up too fast it hesitates (nearly stalls)...if I throttle up slowly it works fine...

Another question would be appropriate pro size...the 130 is 25" and is on a 78 mako 20...

Any advice before I haul it out would be welcomed...thanks

You may be right to be concerned about the long crank time. That is USUALLY a result of low fuel pressure in the injector rail. The fact that throttle response is poor would also indicate a fuel pressure/volume issue. You may need to thoroughly inspect and clean the VST and filters.

Good luck

Do all what Jimmy said and also try advancing the throttle about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way when you try to start it. It is possible that your idle air control is not functioning correctly. If it starts right up with the throttle advanced, then I would check the IAC.

Also, these engines have a tendency to start and run for only a couple of seconds the first time you try to start, when they are cold, but they will start up and run fine the second try. That is normal...and...there is no explanation for it.

Mike

Back