Logo

2000 Yamaha F-100 problem

Nezpique

Hello all!! I'm new to the forum and hope you can help with my situation. I recently purchased a 2000 F-100 carburated engine. Very clean with low hours, just been setting up for a long time. I took the engine to a mechanic for a complete carb rebuild, figured it probably had ethenol sitting in the carbs. Got the engine back after the rebuild and it ran good first time out, just sputterd a little when I wend from idle to run, but high speed was good. Took it back to the mechanic and told him to completely change all the old fuel lines. He did, but also told me that this engine had very small jets and was problematic. He said that if I didn't run this engine at least once per week, that I'd always have problems with it, he also said that I should sell it and buy a fuel injected version. Well, I've owned many carburated outboards and have had NO problems, at least with carburators. Now, the engine will idle (rough), but won't make the transion to high/run, it just dies out. I'm into this engine $1300 just for repairs, should I give up and buy a new one, OR should I insist that he get it running?? I just don't want to pour money in a problematic engine. This thing looks brand new under the cowling, hate to just give up on it.

Thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated!!

Carbed motors have ran for years. Take it back to him and tell him to fix it correctly. You can also start using non-Ethanol fuel in it and a good fuel system cleaner.

Carbed motors have ran for years. Take it back to him and tell him to fix it correctly. You can also start using non-Ethanol fuel in it and a good fuel system cleaner.

I will take it back, hopefully he can get it running but not sure he is truly qualified. I' really want to take it to a Yamaha deaer, I just feel like he owes me and I really don't want to start all over. I will add a good water seperator, don't have one now. Non-Ethanol gas is easy to find in my area and thats all I run in my outboards.

Update, decided to take the engine to a certified Yamaha dealer on Monday of his week. As it turned out, the original mechanic didn't do anything to the engine, NOTHING!!! I paid him to do a complete carb kit and impeller change, plus all filters. He BS'd me everytime I took it back to him, he is a POS!! The Yamaha dealer got this engine running like a dream. Be careful about the too good to be true shadetree machanics. Think I might take him to small claims court

Back