Logo

2000 Merc 50 2cyl

downriggin

" Engine will start, idle and

" Engine will start, idle and troll great. When I first bring the engine to load at half trottle, it will bog down and usually dies. After a few times of starting and dying, I can get the boat on plane, but not to full power- maybe 3/4 power. There has been a few times when the engine has ran great then bogs to 3/4 power. I am thinking it might be the fuel connector at the engine. Thoughts?

There's 350 hours on this engine and ran like the dickens before this happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Downriggin' "

" You eliminate either the fue

" You eliminate either the fuel or ignition system. Probably the quickest, easiest way to do this is to duplicate the problem and when the engine starts to fall down, give it some choke (or in your case some primer) and if the engine picks-up, you have some kind of fuel delivery problem. If it does pick up, the next time through, try a different tank and hose. The third time through, squeeze on the primer bulb, emulating the fuel pump. If niether the tank/hose, nor the primer bulb have an effect, but the motor picks up when choked, the carburetor is probably the culprit. Happy boating. "

Back