Logo

2000 Johnson 90hp V4 bogs at high rpms

Matt S

Serial number is J90PLSSE. Motor is on a 22' crest pontoon.
-Motor starts strong. Idles good. Does have a slight hiccup while idling but nothing serious. Once I start throttling it it smooths out and runs great at trolling speeds. Once i get past trolling speeds and try to get on plane it feels like prop slip. The rpms rev slightly and it loses all power. Once I decrease throttle back to trolling or idle the power comes back. I thought it was prop slip and replaced the prop with a Turning Point prop 14x13 which was the original prop specs. The issue is still there.
-I did a compression check and all 4 cylinders were 100 psi even, and the motor was cold. However while I was doing the compression check I forgot to disconnect the plugs that feed the coils. So the plug wires were just hanging there and noticed when the motor was cranked that there were arcs coming from the boots where they connect to the coil. Like they were arcing through the boot. I inspected the plug wires and found that they have pin holes and one had a tear in it. Replaced the wires, but still same issue. The compression check was done at dusk so I was able to see the arcing clearly. I even took a slo-mo video of it doing it. But I did disconnect the coils after this to finish the compression check.
-I have gone through the carbs, they were sparkling clean but I cleaned them anyways, and ran wires through all the small holes. All throttle plates are in sync. Also went through the fuel pump/oil pump.
-I know its not the right way to do it but I checked spark by using an induction timing light while it had the muffs on. I know it should be in the water with a load but wanted to do an initial check. Going through the rpms with the light, all cylinders were firing at high and low rpms, and were matching up with their respective timing mark.
-What I am thinking is it could be slipping out of gear during those high rpms, maybe the gear shift cable needs adjusting. But I would think there would be more noise and more of a clunking sound if this was happening.
--Maybe I am losing spark at the higher loads. Maybe the coil/coils are breaking down?
--Maybe it needs to have the link and sync performed. However I do not have the OMC ignition analyzer it recommends. Is there another method or something that can be made to replace this tool?

Where is a starting point for diagnosis? I would rather not just throw money at it hoping to fix it.

Sound like transom height is incorrect or something is introducing turbulence into propstream...does it have the "batwing" lower unit?

I think you need to go to a good auto parts store and get a $10 spark gap tester. Adjust it to 7/16" to 1/2" and see if spark is strong enough to jump that gap. If it does, that should be enought spark to keep up with higher RPM's. Easiest way to check for slipping prop is the put it in gear (not cranked up) and put weight on it with your foot and see if you can turn the prop at all. In gear, it should not turn unless the rubber between inner and outer hub is worn and slipping.
Also, the arcing bothers me too. That shouldn't be happening.

I was actually thinking that my motor height may be too low. I get A LOT of splash around the motor and back up onto the decking. I'm wondering if it is just cavitation going on since i feel vibrations once this occurs. It does not have the batwings. The motor height is as low as it will go on the transom. I've read many forums that talk about motor height on pontoons but have yet to find one that gives me a baseline to start from. I have multiple styles of spark testers. That will be my next step. My first post may not have been clear but after I changed the plug wires the arcing quit. The new prop has the drop in square hub. I have maybe put an hour on the boat since I replaced the prop. I really don't think its that, but will test it anyways to rule it out. I have seen crazier things.

This is only my second boat so I'm fairly new to the marine engine arena. Not new to engines, just outboards. I had an 18' center console flats style with a 130 honda on it before this. Just couldn't fit the whole family on it when we went out.

Back