Logo

2000 Johnson 70 HP pre purchase compression test results????

Brettm

Hi All i am looking at purchasing a new boat with a Johnson 70hp Model No BJ70VESIS?

Questions about the engine below

1) Compression test came out as 100,98,100 is this within the normal rage? Note engine has not run in three years.

2) It appears the VRO has had some failure last time it run as it has spewed oil everywhere. Is it best to convert to premix or repair VRO?

3) i cant seem to find much info for parts etc about this model number can anyone shed some light on this?

Pics for reference.

Appreciate any help. P.S thanks to Racerone for helping in previous post!
31489923_1258063917662057_2935484149655404544_n.jpg

1) yes
2) There is no repair kit for oil side of VRO/OMS pump..convert or replace is only options. Carbs will need serviced
3) [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=2jqmm49pnkra9rvqi0813rmkt5&catalog_id=0&siteid=1[/FONT]

1) yes
2) There is no repair kit for oil side of VRO/OMS pump..convert or replace is only options. Carbs will need serviced
3) http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=2jqmm49pnkra9rvqi0813rmkt5&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

Thanks Fazbullet! What would your recommend in terms of replacing VRO or converting to premix? how reliable are these VRO?
How do i find out what fuel pump to convert too?
What is involved in a carb service?

Really appreciate your advice!

VRO's are great, they adjust oil requirements to engine demands, more at WOT and less while trolling. Keep out the ethanol, however. The replacements are alcohol "resistant". Use only recommended oils. I use Amsoil injector and its 11 bucks a quart. Thats just me, however. I fix other people's motors, no time to worry about my own.

ps. I get plenty of motors here that the owner/previous owners have taken Mac's advice too. To each his own.

Last edited:
VRO's are great, they adjust oil requirements to engine demands, more at WOT and less while trolling. Keep out the ethanol, however. The replacements are alcohol "resistant". Use only recommended oils. I use Amsoil injector and its 11 bucks a quart. Thats just me, however. I fix other people's motors, no time to worry about my own.

ps. I get plenty of motors here that the owner/previous owners have taken Mac's advice too. To each his own.

Thanks Tim guy. How reliable is my specific model? i've read so many contradicting things about them

The VRO unit is actually well engineered and well made.-----But it needs to be checked / maintained by the owner.--------Filter in the oil tank . air leaks on hoses.----Occasional use is also an issue, alarms need to be understood etc, etc.

Mr. Scott has posted great information on VRO's, if he could dig that up again it would be nice. I learned alot from that information. The replacements have been modified to be more reliable, as well as effective.

Last edited:
The VRO unit is actually well engineered and well made.-----But it needs to be checked / maintained by the owner.--------Filter in the oil tank . air leaks on hoses.----Occasional use is also an issue, alarms need to be understood etc, etc.

Thanks, interesting to here that. Most likely i will only use the boat 2 x per month (At most) a consideration i guess.

Mr. Scott has posted great information on VRO's, if he could dig that up again it would be nice. I learned alot from that information. The replacements have been modified to be more reliable, as well as effective.

Oh interesting that would be great to have a read of! Thanks tim guy

Back