Logo

2000 Johnson 15: Carb question; idle needle

Jamoose

Hello, New to the forum and have a question about a small issue with my johnson 15 (j15rssm). It was shutting off at low idle, and after rebuilding the carb and fuel pump, will sit at low idle just fine running on muffs. I thought all was well until I took it out yesterday and experienced it shutting off at low idle repeatedly (problem got worse as the day went on). When I returned home, I set it up on muffs again, it repeated the issues I had experienced on the water (a good thing as it helped to replicate the issue) and with an adjustment to the low idle needle, I was able to have it running fine again. I was not certain, and when I adjusted the needle, it seemed to have moved, perhaps under vibrations from running it.
For this carb, I did not see a way to add tension to the screw as one could do with the nut on the older johnsons. Is there a way to provide some added tension to this screw? I'm hesitant to use loctite, without confirming prior. One small item to mention, when I rebuilt the carb, there was an orange film/plastic on the low idle screw and tension spring. It appeared to be factory-installed. Does anybody know what this is and whether replacing it could be part of the fix?

thank you!

They put that orange stuff on so that the selling dealer can see that someone " worked " on the motor.----I think the spring is all that is needed to keep it from moving.----What are the compression numbers.----Has a new impeller been installed since this motor was new ??

Thanks and that makes sense on the orange stuff. With regard to compression I don’t have that and will need to buy a gauge. Yes the impeller has been serviced. Thank you for the response! Let me know if this information suggests other areas to investigate!

Did you find anything wrong ( dirt ) in the carburetor ?----Did you find anything wrong on the fuel pump ?----Yes , no or not sure at all ?

I did not see any visible dirt or issues. However after a first tear down and experiencing similar issues I was able to get it running by pulling out the idle needle and adjusting air intake with my finger covering the hole. I felt that this issue was then due to improper air flow. So I opened the top cover and paid special attention to the three small holes near the idle needle. After reassembly it ran fine on the muffs, with no further issues until I ran it on the water. It ran fine with an open throttle and bogged down and quit when Re approaching idle. Once back at home it ran fine again with a minor adjustment to the idle needle.

I did not find an issue with the fuel pump and rebuilt anyway as I had the kit handy. Hope this helps with diagnosis! Thanks again.

Compression test is step #1 in any trouble shooting.-----Post your numbers.-----Perceived carburetor problems often turn out to be something else.

Back