Logo

2000 Honda BF130 goes to limp mode randomly

cwayne49

I have two Honda BF130 engines on my houseboat. The port side engine rev limiter will kick in and limit rpm to about 200. I kill it and restart and it runs fine for a few minutes before doing it again. It is not over heating and the crankcase is full of oil. There are no warning lights except the green light that is normally solid will start to blink. I have swapped the ECM with the other engine and the problem remains. I first replaced both coils before I realized it was the rev limiter. Could there be a faulty sensor that is causing this, and if so, which one?

Hi,
That is definitely concerning.
Yes, it could very well be a faulty oil pressure sensor OR the wiring and connection to the sensor.
That engine looks to have a one wire oil sensor threaded into the stbd. side of the engine block.
I've seen the nut that holds the wire terminal to the switch get loose and and cause problems like this. Also, the wire end connector rings can break due to flex and vibration.
See item 20 in the link below.

But if you don't find any fault like I described it might be wise to test the oil pressure. You could test it using the orifice that the switch is threaded in but I don't have service information for this engine so I can't provide you with specifications to measure.

Good luck.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Yesterday my mechanic pulled oil pressure sensor and attached an oil pressure gauge. He found great pressure upon starting but it soon dwindled to 5 to 7 lbs. The book says it should be 14 lbs. His book suggested a blockage in the flow from the simple, a blocked oil filter, to the more serious problems with the oil pump itself. The oil pump is located below the powerhead, so I'll likely have to pull the motor and take it to his shop.

I have found that engines that have slowly decreasing oil pressure as they warm up will often have too much main and rod bearing clearances. So, I don't think I would put an oil pump in and not replace the bearings. That would include cam bearings too.

It's a basic hydraulic principle. Pumps create flow, resistance to flow creates pressure. The bearings are what provide resistance.

But I don't know this engine. It has balancer shafts (more bearings) and also an "orifice, oil control" (item 8 in the link below) that I would think is used to provide for a specific system pressure. Not sure though.

My experience with those types of devices is that the orifice can enlarge or "erode" and that too might cause a decrease in oil pressure.

You might want to discuss that with your mechanic as you decide what you're going to do.

Good luck.

Back