Logo

2000 Evinrude 150 Ficht RAM Injection shuts off and wont turn over.

2000 150 Ficht

I am currently having a problem with my 2000 Evinrude 150 Ficht RAM Injection motor.
It will start and run fine for about 15-20 minutes. Then cuts off and wont even turn over (Just a click sound). All electronics still work. Then about 30 minutes or so later and it will start and run just fine like nothing is wrong for 15-20 minutes and shuts off again. There is no warning sign that it is going to die. Idling just fine then it's like someone turned the key off. Motor just cuts off.
It's not the batteries, I have 2 and both are fully charged on a Jayco switch.
It's Not the computer overheating, I have checked the water flow through the computer and even placed ice packs on the computer while it was running and it still shut off with the computer cool/cold to the touch.
I don't think its the powerpacks (It has 4, 1 single & 1 double for each side) because when it is running it runs great. No rough idle, no problem getting to higher RPMs and power/throttle response is normal.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions what could be wrong?

Does your boat have the kill lanyard on the keyswitch or in the boat? The one with the little button that pops out when pulled. Referred to as an electrical kill switch. The other one on the keyswitch is a mechanical kill switch. Just turns the key off.
Starting on 2000 models when an electrical kill switch is pulled the motor will not turn over. Everything else will work. More to come.

This is controlled by a relay in the PDP (power distribution panel) located just above the oil injector on the starboard side of the powerhead. Remove cover & you will see 4 relays. All alike. Front two are TNT. Top is up & bottom is down. Back upper one is your kill relay. Could be flaky? You can swap it with either TNT relay for testing. The back bottom relay is your fuel pump relay. This is just a possibility?
Does your battery have the clamps on it with the bolts & star washers? This engine must have tight battery connections! Both for starting & component life.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try the relays and make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. I'll let you know if that fixed the problem.

My boat does not have a lanyard on the keyswitch. Although there is a little sticker just below the ignition that shows that there is supposed to be one. (Like on my waverunner) I was thinking of replacing the ignition/key as my next step in troubleshooting this problem. I figured I could try to check as many simple inexpensive things as I could before taking it to the only repair shop (40+miles away) that will even work on my Ficht. I don't want to take it in and pay $150 diagnostic fee to find out it is something simple like a bad ignition or a relay switch that cost $5-$20.

You have a set of lights on the tach...Systems Check Lights......when the engine will not start, what is the state of these lights?
All off, or all on?

You have a set of lights on the tach...Systems Check Lights......when the engine will not start, what is the state of these lights?
All off, or all on?

Hi All,

I am newly registered and stumbled across this thread. I have the same issues. Runs perfect for about 20 minutes and then cuts off completely. 10 minutes later it will start up (sometimes rough or sometimes perfect). Any suggestions?

Back