Logo

2000 BF 50 replacing tilt/trim motor

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
I'm helping two friends getting their Nimble Nomad 24 trawler launched. It's powered by a 2000 BF 50. As I was helping them with typical maintenance stuff, I noticed that their tilt/trim motor housing was extremely corroded and probably would not last for the season.

Can someone walk me through the procedure for changing out that motor. It's part 36120-ZV5-811. However, it appears that the engine needs to be externally supported in the "up" position and the entire port side engine bracket needs to be removed to get to the 4 bolts holding the motor to the T/T pump. For this particular boat, that is going to be a major PITA. I know that on other Honda's, you and pull the upper pin from the main tilt cylinder rod, and rotate out the whole T/T mechanism to get to the motor. However, on this engine, it does not look like that is possible.

Some help and guidance here would be highly appreciated.

engine raised all the way and supported with a cargo strap,most of the weight will be balanced on transoms starboard side, I read about this info on this site about a month ago

Guys - could use some help here. Trying to get these ladies launched and need to better understand how to replace the tilt/trim pump motor.

At the risk of ending up like johnnyjgr (ouch!)6, if you can't get to that upper pin and remove it from the piston end, it looks grim from here. You either are going to have to find a way to support the outboard to facilitate getting the port stern bracket off or it seems the whole outboard needs to come off so you can go in from the front.

Hopefully, someone that has actually done one will chime in.

Good luck chawk

Thanks, Jimmy. I didn't take pictures, but it appears that there is a part of the transom bracket that juts out in front of the T/T motor and pump that would prevent using the procedure of pulling the pin at the top of the tilt cylinder and rotating out the whole mechanism. I was hoping that there was some trick or procedure for doing that , that was not evident to me. Looking for someone to respond who had done this, or who had the shop manual who could walk me through it. Thanks again.

I went back at this earlier today. As a reminder, unlike a lot of Honda's and other outboards, where you can remove the upper pin on the tilt cylinder and rotate the whole T/T mechanism out to get to the motor. Not on this one! I was hoping to drop the whole T/T mechanism out by removing the upper pin and the lower pin. No problem with the upper one. But the lower pin sits in a sleeve with a bushing on each end. That makes it impossible to get to the T/T motor without removing one side of the stern bracket. You can see the dilemma at this link:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2000/BF50AY XRTA/STERN BRACKET/parts.html

The sleeve is item 27 and the bushings are item 12.

On this particular boat, the nuts for the bottom bolts on the stern bracket are almost impossible to get to. There is only a 4" diameter access hatch. It's going to take two people and one of them will need to have really long arms.

And just another little irritant for anyone reading this post - the damn motor does not include the gasket where the motor base mates with the pump.

Back