Logo

2000 5.7 gsi fuel pump relay problem

striper26

hi gang, I have a 2000 5.7 gsi that is having issues with the fuel pump relay...A few weeks ago i brought the boat home to clean it up for this years fishing adventures... I ran the boat on the muffs with no issue.

Today Im finishing up a few details and I attempt to start it on the muffs and my problem arises.
Typically i turn the key to the run position and I can hear the fuel pumps run for 2-3 sec... this time nothing..

when cranking the engine the pumps will not start.

Running jumpers from the battery to both the high and low pump they both run

with the key in the on position I have swapped relays that are located on top of the low pressure pump... facing the crank the rely on the right or port side has a positive click when inserted.. the relay on the left or starboard has no click

Any suggestions on where to start my trouble shooting?

Thanks

Changing electrical parts with the key ON is NOT the preferred approach - OFF is much safer...

I'd be inclined to check the fuse that feeds that relay.

ok...I'd suggest the next step would be to remove the relay and verify continuity from the pumps' +12VDC lead to the relay socket (you already stated the pumps rum when jumped directly to +12VDC). If that's good, then verify the +12VDC source to the relay (with the key ON). If that is present, there are only two things left - the control signal from the ECU to the relay (wiring) or the ECU itself isn't providing the control signal (which is the return <ground> for the relay...

Back