Logo

200 Ocean Runner Head Gasket - weeing salt on outside of block

Cable Mariner

My 1997 Ocean Runner 200 is running quite well. I have however noted what appears to be salt accumulations around the head/block interface that would indicate some seepage across the head gasket from the water jacket to the outside. Plugs all look good so it does not appear that water is getting into any cylinders. you can also observe rust bleeds on the edges of the head gaskets. I assume there are metallic particles interwoven into the gasket material

Is this worth pulling the heads to renew the gaskets? I'm wondering if the head gaskets could fail at some point in the other direction ending up with water in the cylinders. I'm pretty sure they are original and that the heads have never been off. My main concern is getting a good seal when re-installing the heads. I'm worried about the heads having taken a set over the years. On a rebuild of an old motor you would have the heads and block decked so this would never be an issue. What do you think am I overthinking this? A good PM measure seeing as the gaskets are weeping to the outside world?

You can take the heads to a machine shop to have them surfaced or you can do it yourself if you have a granite surface plate and sandpaper.

You can take the heads to a machine shop to have them surfaced or you can do it yourself if you have a granite surface plate and sandpaper.

I understand that. My worry is having flat heads and a not so flat block surface. Unless you do both I'm afraid that it is possible to actually create a problem rather than solve it. If they have taken a set after 25 years it might be better to clean them up and re-install if you can't do both. That being said I'm wondering if I'm OK to keep running with a little gasket weep or should I intervene now and try to prevent a future gasket leak into the cylinders. I know I will likely have to wrestle with stuck head bolts since they have been on there for so long. I have never broken a head bolt in the past and usually with enough patience they "eventually" come out. I just don't want to open up a can of worms.

I agree the block may not be perfectly flat but it's likely to be flat enough. Head gaskets are thick so they can accommodate mating two surfaces that are not perfectly flat. Check your head and block with a machinist straight edge...you might only need new head gaskets.

Back