Logo

2 stroke or 4

RPM’s

Good morning everyone I’m brand new to this site looking at a Johnson J6SLCCS
6 horse sail master / seahorse,from what I can see from the date code the C relates to an 8 and the S relates to a 0 (zero) hence making it a 1980 however another forum I saw said that it was in 1988 my question is is it in 1980 or 1988 is the cc mean it’s an 88 and the S is irrelevant?
I am confused.
Second question I have looked and looked and looked is it a two stroke or four stroke I do not have an oil reservoir with a dipstick so does that mean it’s a two stroke?

CS suggests 1980...

its a two cycle

FWIW, you'd be better off using the Johnson/Evinrude forum for future questions on that engine...

I do not believe they marketed a 4 stroke in 1988 !!----And there is no timing belt either.-------So it is 100% a 2 stroke motor.----You seem hesitant to accept this fact.

I do not believe they marketed a 4 stroke in 1988 !!----And there is no timing belt either.-------So it is 100% a 2 stroke motor.----You seem hesitant to accept this fact.
Thank you very much appreciate your comments and your knowledge everything you said makes perfect sense now I’m just trying to see what kind of fuel mix ratio it is I’ve read that 100 to 1 for a brand new motor is recommended short term then switching over to 50 to 1 but then I saw somebody else talking about 32 to one in a private party told me he runs his at 40 to 1

Oil always leads to lively discussions.-----And oil and lubrication on 2 strokes is not well understood in my opinion.-----Use 50:1 in the tank.----And 40:1 to guarantee that it will outlast your grandkids.

Yep I would not use 100:1 in that just use the standard 50:1 mix good quality TCW3 oil. I have used that mix with 2 stroke oil for air cooled engines in my yard engines some of them are 25+ years old and never lost an engine due to lube failures.
Pennzoil makes a nice syn blend TCW3 oil that gets good reviews….
My Toro 2 stroke snowblower with a Suzuki 2 stroke specs TCW3 oil (because these run slow & cool compared to your usual 2 stroke air cooled engines) for less deposits & at one time Pennzoil sold a full syn TCW3, I bought a gallon of it some years back at the rate I’m going it will last years.

Yep always a good idea on a new to you engine. And after running for a while check the spark plug(s) to make sure it’s not running too lean, that’s a big issue with 2 strokes. I do a tune up on my Echo machines every 3 seasons or so including changing the fuel filter.

Yep always a good idea on a new to you engine. And after running for a while check the spark plug(s) to make sure it’s not running too lean, that’s a big issue with 2 strokes. I do a tune up on my Echo machines every 3 seasons or so including changing the fuel filter.
Awesome, thank you for the reply

Great info,thank you for your reply

Awesome, thanks for the reply much appreciated

Great to know, thank you for the reply

Ok , I’ll do this , thank you

Yep I would not use 100:1 in that just use the standard 50:1 mix good quality TCW3 oil. I have used that mix with 2 stroke oil for air cooled engines in my yard engines some of them are 25+ years old and never lost an engine due to lube failures.
Pennzoil makes a nice syn blend TCW3 oil that gets good reviews….
My Toro 2 stroke snowblower with a Suzuki 2 stroke specs TCW3 oil (because these run slow & cool compared to your usual 2 stroke air cooled engines) for less deposits & at one time Pennzoil sold a full syn TCW3, I bought a gallon of it some years back at the rate I’m going it will last years.
I do have some TCW3 that I use for an older set ski/ wave runner, So thank you for your detailed reply.

Back