Logo

2 stroke oil coming from carburetor (lots of it)

Muddy Rudder

Hello,

I just purchased a used 1985 115 Yamaha outboard (model 115ETLK) with precision blend oil injection. It's been on the boat for a couple of weeks. I took it for the first run and the next day pulled the cover to check the motor and found half of the oil injection bottle on the engine had dumped into the plastic carburetor cover and had gotten deep enough in the lower cowling to start dripping down the throttle and shift cables and into the boat (motor was tilted up).

The oil was coming from a small brass button in the lower starboard carburetor ventri, the other three were fine. I found a few carb schematics but didn't find any that identified the little brass button. I disconnected the oil line to the leaking carburetor Venturi, plugged the line with a tapered punch and the leaking stopped so it seems like it's the one line causing oil to leak. I'll post a picture.I am assuming it is like an oil jet that is part of the oil injection system but can anyone tell me why it is leaking? I'll probably wind up taking it apart but it would be nice to hear if someone knows what's up before I take it apart. Well, forget the picture it won't let me upload. Its coming from the lower starboard carburetor Venturi.

Back