Logo

2 regulators from stator

treefort

Hi guys, I have been troubleshooting my 95 Mariner 150hp on a 95 Bayliner Trophy 2002 not being able to get above 2500 or so rpms on the water. Sometimes it will eventually and slowly increase above there and get on plane around 3400 or so. Then it's great. It revs up on the trailer in neutral no problem.

I was going to check the resistance on the stator and trigger today and noticed one of the two regulator's silicon encasing has lifted from the enclosure from overheating or something. I was hoping that could be the problem but from doing a little research it looks like the two regulator's are in parallel to charge the battery, so it's probably not my issue. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

I have good spark on all plugs and the battery seems to be charging properly.

I have replaced the water separator and rebuilt the fuel pump but have not tested since.
I have a 3 gallon tank to try.
I will try pumping the bulb and use the choke next time too.
I currently have a 4" 19p prop on the motor and will try a 17p one next time.

If anyone has any questions advice it'd be greatly appreciated! My wife is getting sick of me working on the boat.

The resistance readings look good..

I have attached a screenshot from outboardignition . com to refer to.

My readings were:

Stator
Blue/White to Ground = 4.082kΩ
Blue to Ground = 3.79kΩ

Blue/white to Blue = 7.84kΩ

Red/White to Ground = 114Ω
Red, Red/Black to Ground = 111.8Ω

Red/White to Red,Red/Black = 223Ω

Trigger
Brown to Purple = 1.265kΩ
White to Brown = 1.268kΩ
Purple to White = 1.271kΩ

The trigger wires felt like spaghetti.

Guess I need to do a DVA test now? unnamed.jpg

Ok then. I think I will just multiply the AC RMS reading from my fluke to obtain the peak voltage vs. buying or making a dva adapter.

Can I take all my measurements while idling with the garden hose?

Thanks!

O/B S/N: 0G217135

I checked the stator and trigger voltages with my fluke. Using RMS * 1.414 to get peak voltage the triggers values were in spec. The stator was 140V where it should have been 190 or something.

Anyways..I took her out for a spin and she planes beautifully now. 32knots, 5200rpm at WOT with a full gas tank and my little family of 4. I think the redline is 5800 so I am pretty happy with that. I forgot to mention that I had done a hot soak with Seafoam as well. So I'm not 100% sure what fixed it. Either the seafoam, new water separator fuel filter, fuel pump rebuild, or 17p prop. I'm thinking it's the prop but whatever it was we are a happy family now and can move on to other projects like cleaning the boat! fixing chips in gelcoat, sealing up the rub rail, getting a nice quiet clean burning yamaha kicker ;) And of course heading out to the ocean to slay some fish!

Thanks for the tip Jeff! I wanted to make sure to provide feedback on the results as it sucks when people don't follow up!

Last edited:
Back