Logo

1999 Yamaha 150 (OX 66). The shaft feels tight after impeller replacement. Is that normal?

<span style="font-family: Arial">

Hi,

I just replaced the impeller on both 1999 Yamahas 150 OX 66 lower units. But now the shaft feels tight when I turn it by hand (about the same on both units). I followed the instructions form other postings online and I used Yamaha parts. I put a new impeller, new housing new base and gaskets. I also put some marine grease on the impeller and a little inside hosing and base. I did turn the shaft clockwise to ensure the fins are in the right direction. However, when I turn the shaft by hand (of course clockwise) it feels tight. The shaft moves but I feel resistance form the impeller. The shaft moves freely without the housing on the impeller.
1-Is it because the new impeller makes it tight?
Thanks!
<span style="font-family: Arial">

Last edited:
Turning the shaft without the impeller in place will of course require less effort on your part to turn. This is because without the impeller, the blades are not spinning against the inner wall housing. As I'm sure you noticed when handling the new impeller, it's quite stiff, as it should be. When impeller is in place, and you turn shaft, you should definitely be applying more effort on your part to turn. I would triple check you have ordered the correct impeller kit. If good, i would then be certain the impeller is engaged with the woodruff key. You can verify this before installing the housing by turnong the shaft. If the impeller turns when you turn shaft, it's good. Reinstall lower unit, hook up muffs, start engine and observe the tell tale. You should see water exiting a few seconds after engine ignition, if not immediately. If you do, you're good to go.

Completely normal for the shaft to be more difficult to rotate with a new impeller than with an old used impeller. You have not only the resistance of the impeller working against you but also the gears are being turned as well. There are two other seals on the drive shaft that you are having to turn against.

Did you grease the impeller vanes before they were installed?

Completely normal for the shaft to be more difficult to rotate with a new impeller than with an old used impeller. You have not only the resistance of the impeller working against you but also the gears are being turned as well. There are two other seals on the drive shaft that you are having to turn against.

Did you grease the impeller vanes before they were installed?

Yes, I greased the vanes on both units. THANKS!!

Back