Logo

1999 TB 454 XLi oil capacity

cjcatch

I completely drained the oil and changed the filter. I put in 7 quart and started the engine. I only let it run long enough to register oil pressure. Let rest for 5 minutes, dip stick showed almost 2 quarts low. I added another quart and rechecked. One quart low, added the 9th quart to bring up to full level.
I waited till morning and rechecked the level and it was reading full. The boat was full of fuel. Fuel tanks are aft of the engine and the dipsticks are towards the back of the engine as well. Engine specifications "stamped pan 8 quarts. Old boat with new owner. Don't want to over fill!

The capacity specs usually have a note that says "approximate, use dipstick to determine FULL" or words to that effect. That does seem like a lot of oil as long as you dont have the cast aluminum pan....

Assuming the dipstick tube is still located properly and the dipstick hasn't been changed, and a standard sized filter is used, you should be ok...I'd suggest keeping an eye on the oil pressure gauge and checking the oil frequently on you next outing or two to make sure it is not getting aerated...if the pressure is steady and the oil unaerated, you should be ok...

the pressure gauge will drop and/or become erratic...if it is bad, you can sometimes see some frothing under the filler cap right after shutdown...but not always...some oil additives minimize it...

Engines warmed up to operating temperature, then started to cruise at 3200 rpms. went for a few miles then the oil pressure gauge started bouncing around, then settles back down. I assume the previous owner followed the dipstick as well over filling.
If so, does it build up carbon on the cylinder walls? Is there a fuel additive that would reduce or eliminate it?
What other possible damage does this cause?

... started to cruise at 3200 rpms. went for a few miles then the oil pressure gauge started bouncing around, then settles back down....
did you pull back the throttle to cause the 'settles back down' action or did the oil pressure stabilize with no change in the throttle?

If you have the kind of oil tube that goes to the bottom of the pan instead of in the block they can be tricky to read because the oil level has to equalize in the pan & the tube for it to read correctly.
Try this:
Pull out the dipstick & wipe it clean and wait a few min to allow the level to stabilize before re inserting the dipstick, like a couple minutes.
On mine with a cold engine that’s been sitting it reads high at first; with a hot engine it reads low at first. Either way I pull the stick & wait a few min that gives me what I think is a true reading.

The next morning after changing the oil, I got a full reading on the dipstick.
If it was aerating would the oil gauge continuously to bounce around?

depends upon the sending unit's response time (the lag between the pressure change and the resistance the sending unit provides) and the amount of aeration...if the lag is enough, you may only see reduced pressure...if the gauge is showing steady at 35 PSI or greater doing 3000RPM, you should be ok...if any doubt, use a mechanical gauge...

As far as excess oil in the combustion chamber - you should be able to see a blue tint to the exhaust...you can also use a borescope to see any residual in the chambers...power tune (quicksilver) works well for a decarbon product...there are others.

the big concern when the oil is aerated would be bearing damage...an oil analysis can give you insight there...

Back